Wednesday, December 5, 2012

Health Update and Healthy Living

Hey y'all...just wanted to update you on my health.  As you may remember I was going through some tests not related to my Thyroid cancer...well, those tests show that I am having pvc's.





PVC's are (according to the Mayo Clinic) premature ventricular contractions.

This basically means my heart is beating prematurely or earlier that it is supposed to. As far as the doctors know it isn't going to kill me, even though it may affect my quality of life and how I feel.  They are dead-on, I do not feel well, it's as if my heart is spastic, it makes me short of breath and a bit cranky as I just feel...ick. On top of this I am also having what they call sinus tachycardia when I exercise...my heart will beat at 198 bpm...not what they want, especially when I've been working out for years and should have better cardio health.

 

It makes it hard to breathe, so I sound like I'm a complete newbie (huffing and puffing) even though I feel normal...just a bit out of breath...no fainting but sometimes I do have pain in my chest and left-side of neck. (sad face) 


I am now taking a beta-blocker to slow the heart down and hopefully control the pvc's. So far I have not really gotten any relief, ugh...it's only been a week so I am not sure I can complain yet! (Smiley face) Last night as I lay in bed trying to feel better, I was seriously this (-) close to breaking down in tears...then I had to remind myself...it can always be worse.  There is a reason I'm going through all this and God has a plan and a purpose for everything.  I am thankful that as far as doctors know, there is nothing mechanically wrong with my heart (that they can find), and that it probably won't kill me.

Okay, enough whining from me...let's talk about healthy living for awhile. Did you like that segway (no, not the one you stand on)?

What are y'all doing to live as healthfully as you can during the Christmas season?  I am trying to eat more yogurt, smaller helpings...less red meat...and drink more water.

Here as some tips I am going to use this Christmas season...I'll let you know how it works out!

  • 1. Drink more water, to combat all the foods that are rich in fat and sodium.

  • 2. Eat less meat, enough said.

  • 3. Eat smaller helpings, use a smaller plate and fill it up with veggies, fruit and generally healthier choices.

  • 4. Eat the goodies, just in smaller servings. 

  • 5. Find time to fit in exercise, even if that means taking a walk/jog around the block (up the street, through town) etc...Go to gym when time permits and do at least 30 minutes of exercise or weight training 3 days a week, during the weeks leading up to Christmas. 

  • 6. Smile and be happy, let my inner joy shine through to the outside so others can see and be blessed.

Have a great week y'all! Let me know how your week turned out! Blessings and hugs!      

Godspeed...this comes from the Middle English expression "God spede (you)", a wish for success and fortune for one setting out on an enterprise, voyage, adventure, or travels. It may also mean good luck. 

"Limitations only exist if you let them" 

© 2012 Shannon M. King. This publication is the exclusive property of Shannon M. King and is protected under the US Copyright Act of 1976 and all other applicable international, federal, state and local laws. The contents of this post/story may not be reproduced as a whole or in part, by any means whatsoever, without consent of the author, Shannon M. King. All rights reserved.

7 comments:

  1. Hope you feel better and can run soon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Apparently my wife and I have inherited Christmas from now on, so at least we can control some of the food choices. Honestly, we don't have as many holiday goodies around these days, so it may be easy to stay away from them. The only thing that's going to get me really good is my mother-in-law's peanut brittle.

    Hope those beta blockers work, and give you some feeling of normalcy. I know some medications take time to work to their full effect, so hopefully that will straighten things out soon. I can't imagine feeling out of breath outside of running, and feeling like that normally must be pretty frightening.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just found your blog!! You have such a great, positive attitude about everything!! :) I will be praying for you and hopefully those Beta Blockers do their job and get everything under control! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hope you feeling better soon. I love the blog's Christmas decorations.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sorry to hear about the health challenges but I wish you much strength and positivity! You have such a wonderful outlook and so much optimism. Great, great tips for all of us to live by, whether during the holiday season or not. BIG HUGS!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. OH DEAR! Throwing pvcs and being tachy. No, that probably won't kill you, but it can be da**ed inconvenient, and painful. And frustrating, as in "high nuisance value." Beta blockers may help. I remember taking them, for a different reason, and my blood pressure got so low at times I almost passed out. I do hope all this clears up. Promptly.

    Lovely Christmas pictures and seasonal "survival thoughts." Thank you for sharing them.

    Christmas blessings, and Bear hugs, from the hibernating Bear.

    ReplyDelete

I'm so happy you stopped by...can't wait to hear all you've got to say! Blessings!

Labels

000 steps (1) 10 (1) 5k (19) A-Z Challenge (25) Acupuncture (1) AMT (1) B is for (17) Biceps Femoris injury (3) bike (1) biking (7) bloghopping (1) BMR (1) books (1) C is for (16) cancer (13) celebration (7) celebrity runners (1) checking in (23) chia (1) Christmas season (3) coastal getaway (2) cooking (1) cross train (28) current obsessions (1) D is for (15) dancing (2) days of giving thanks (10) death (1) drink (1) E is for (14) exercise (45) expresso bikes (7) F is for (13) facebook (1) family (34) fasting (1) FF linkup (3) fires (1) fitness (26) flower (1) food (13) friday blog hop (2) friends (29) G is for (13) gardening (4) goals (3) God (13) goodbyes (2) grief (1) gym time (5) H is for (11) healthy living (21) hot weather running (13) hump day inspiration (3) I is for (9) injury (28) inspiration (4) instagram (3) J is for (10) K is for (9) kindness (3) l is for (8) letters to myself (1) link-up (1) local sugar (1) loss (1) low iodine diet (1) M is for (7) mapmyfun (1) marathon (10) marathon training (30) May Challenge (1) mothers day (5) N is for (6) negative splits (2) new year (2) numbers (1) O is for (5) overnight oats (1) overpronation (2) P is for (4) patience (1) Pear Blossom Run (8) pelvic stress fracture (28) Picture Perfect Friday (1) Pinterest (1) prayers needed (3) Q is for (3) R is for (2) race (13) racing (3) Random facts (1) recipes (2) rest (1) rest day (17) retirement (1) rowing (2) running (57) running club (2) runtastic (1) S is for (1) sciatica (3) spin class (4) sprint (4) strength train (6) Sunshine Award (1) surgery (2) swimming (1) T is for (1) thanksgiving (2) The China Study (1) time (1) tiny dictator (1) tragedy in CT (1) training (22) twitter (1) U is for (1) ultra-running (1) V is for (1) vegan (6) vlog (4) W is for (1) walk/run intervals (24) weddings (1) weight loss (5) working out (10) x y and z (1) YMCA (3)