Tuesday, June 5, 2012

Pelvic Stress Fracture...Indeed!

OMG, it is indeed the worst news I could hope to hear. Not! 

Thank You Google (Not mine)

Seriously, yes it is a pelvic stress fracture, but it can always be so much worse. I have learned this important lesson many times over in my 41 years on this earth. 

I am down for the count, no running for at least 16 weeks and that is being conservative, also no elliptical or stationary bike for at least another 4 weeks.  I am allowed to swim and try the recumbent bike as long as it doesn't cause me any pain.  I am also being ordered to start taking 2000mg of Calcium and Vitamin D asap. When my doctor called he said, "Well Shannon, I've got your MRI results, and it is exactly what you thought it was, where you thought it was". 


I am actually kind of in shock...I was right!

So now it is sinking in to my feeble brain that I am broken and sidelined for the entire summer.  I feel so useless, like running somehow defined me, but I am more than running, I am me.  When I had cancer I also felt defined by it, like I wasn't me anymore, and that everything I did was cancer related, people looked at me and saw the cancer instead of who I really was, me. It was in their eyes, and I could see that it haunted them. I hated seeing that.


Because...

I am a fighter, a survivor, a mom, friend, sister, daughter,  lover, runner, but even more than that I am someone who has dreams.  I dream of becoming a counselor for women, and to use my life experiences to help someone else in their experience or out of it.  I have dreams of traveling to Italy...I'm a dreamer, and a writer of stories that maybe I'll only read, but still I'm a writer...I'm an artist who dreams of painting.  I am not defined by cancer, or my injury or all the little jobs I do.  I am more than all of those things combined and I will prevail and I will come out the other side stronger than ever! 

I am so blessed to have friends like you, and I wanted to say thank you for your warm wishes, and kind thoughts, as well as all of your prayers.  Keep them coming and don't forget me, I will be blogging my way through this injury for sure.

Godspeed...this comes from the Middle English expression "God spede (you)", a wish for success and fortune for one setting out on an enterprise, voyage, adventure, or travels. It may also mean good luck.

"Limitations only exist if you let them" 

© 2012 Shannon M. King. This publication is the exclusive property of Shannon M. King and is protected under the US Copyright Act of 1976 and all other applicable international, federal, state and local laws. The contents of this post/story may not be reproduced as a whole or in part, by any means whatsoever, without consent of the author, Shannon M. King. All rights reserved.

10 comments:

  1. Darn that chemo...my daughter takes calcium too. You can always do your favorite run in your head...and swimming is great exercise...I joined the local college club and have enjoyed swimming 3x a week.

    So sorry you have to be sidelined...rooting for you from CA!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hang in there! You can get through this. Yes, maye no summer of running....but how about summer of reading instead. I know that doesn't sound as fun.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Given the doctor's report, I would say you are well on the way to becoming a . . . doctor. Use your 16 weeks to brush up on your anatomy and physiology reading.

    Yes, you can!

    Blessings and Bear hugs.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Shannon, I am so, so, so sorry to hear about this! But in a sense, I think there is some relief from knowing exactly what the injury is and knowing what to expect in the coming weeks. To me, it's better than not knowing! Now you can focus on healing!

    Swimming and the recumbant bike are GREAT forms of exercise. I know many other folks who have swam and biked while recovering from injury, and then were able to go back into running afterwards while barely missing a beat. I know it's so frustrating having to take a break from running, but this is just temporary. You are not going to lose your fitness level and you are going to come back stronger than ever!!!

    ~BIG HUGS!!!~

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sorry about the fracture! It hasto suck but I know you'll do great and have a speedy recovery!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am so sorry! I hope you heal quickly.

    ReplyDelete
  7. When are they going to be able to laser weld bones without hurting the skin from the outside? Get on it, modern medicine.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am very sorry, I wish a fast recover.
    Take care and enjoy the swimming.
    A big hug from Italy.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Shannon, I'm sorry I'm late in catching up with your blog and reading about your stress fracture. I'm so sorry! Serious bummer! No, it doesn't define you in any way. Crap happens and it stinks but you will get through it. Take care and hopefully you will love the pool.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Shannon, your blog is not only a joy to read but also a source of inspiration and energy to all of us who were not born as tough as you are. I'm praying for your fast recovery and be back on track once again. Surgical mesh lawsuit info center.

    ReplyDelete

I'm so happy you stopped by...can't wait to hear all you've got to say! Blessings!

Labels

000 steps (1) 10 (1) 5k (19) A-Z Challenge (25) Acupuncture (1) AMT (1) B is for (17) Biceps Femoris injury (3) bike (1) biking (7) bloghopping (1) BMR (1) books (1) C is for (16) cancer (13) celebration (7) celebrity runners (1) checking in (23) chia (1) Christmas season (3) coastal getaway (2) cooking (1) cross train (28) current obsessions (1) D is for (15) dancing (2) days of giving thanks (10) death (1) drink (1) E is for (14) exercise (45) expresso bikes (7) F is for (13) facebook (1) family (34) fasting (1) FF linkup (3) fires (1) fitness (26) flower (1) food (13) friday blog hop (2) friends (29) G is for (13) gardening (4) goals (3) God (13) goodbyes (2) grief (1) gym time (5) H is for (11) healthy living (21) hot weather running (13) hump day inspiration (3) I is for (9) injury (28) inspiration (4) instagram (3) J is for (10) K is for (9) kindness (3) l is for (8) letters to myself (1) link-up (1) local sugar (1) loss (1) low iodine diet (1) M is for (7) mapmyfun (1) marathon (10) marathon training (30) May Challenge (1) mothers day (5) N is for (6) negative splits (2) new year (2) numbers (1) O is for (5) overnight oats (1) overpronation (2) P is for (4) patience (1) Pear Blossom Run (8) pelvic stress fracture (28) Picture Perfect Friday (1) Pinterest (1) prayers needed (3) Q is for (3) R is for (2) race (13) racing (3) Random facts (1) recipes (2) rest (1) rest day (17) retirement (1) rowing (2) running (57) running club (2) runtastic (1) S is for (1) sciatica (3) spin class (4) sprint (4) strength train (6) Sunshine Award (1) surgery (2) swimming (1) T is for (1) thanksgiving (2) The China Study (1) time (1) tiny dictator (1) tragedy in CT (1) training (22) twitter (1) U is for (1) ultra-running (1) V is for (1) vegan (6) vlog (4) W is for (1) walk/run intervals (24) weddings (1) weight loss (5) working out (10) x y and z (1) YMCA (3)