Friday, March 15, 2013

Coffee, Shin Splints and Life In General

 Coffee √ Shin Splints √ Life In General..In Process!

Life is good as usual.  I have much to be thankful for, and little to complain about.  Shin splints in the grand scheme of life are really nothing big.  I think I have found the problem, the school track I've been running on is very lumpy and uneven so I am going to stop running on that track asap and find another with less lumpiness and more evenness. (Not a very grammatical sentence, I know)

I'm getting more running in (even with sore shins) and working my way back up in mileage.  May not be a good thing, I know.  I have been wrapping my shins at home with ace bandages, the compression is a miracle worker.  I also wear my compression soccer socks and they are helping as well. The shins feel great-ish, not perfect but better by far.  The 5k is not until April 13th so I have plenty time if I need to take some training time off. I am running slowly and very carefully but I do stop if it hurts.

In other news, my son's ortho appointment is getting closer and he is restless waiting for it.  Not being able to weight lift affected his grade in Weight lifting class (although he can make it up) and he's not happy about that at all. He's 15, he'll get over it. 

The 17 year old is doing great, his father is trying to teach him to drive the old truck (1969 Ford) which has a very long and awkward stick shifter that does not shift normal, lucky hubby right! 

My 12 year old daughter is...well...a 12 year old, love her hate the age, it is full of hormonal angst and whatnot. She is beautiful, tall, slim...funny as the day is long, creative, and sweet....just sooooo not a morning person. She can make or break my day, anyone out there feel my pain? Ha ha ha!

The other day my hubby and 17 year old son replaced the screen on my screen door for me (I've only been asking for 2 years, lol) and fixed both gate doors outside (they close and latch now) woohoo! 

Exercise for me has been a little running, biking (at the gym) and the Arc trainer...I have also been running my two little wiener dogs (mini-wiener dogs mixed with short leg jack-russell terrier) around the yard outside to get them used to being out "there".  They have always been inside dogs and the outside is a brand new and exciting endeavor for them both.  That's about all I have to say, my life isn't that exciting. Have a great week y'all...blessings and hugs! Anyone racing or traveling? Tell me all about it.

ANNIE

WEENIE
Godspeed...this comes from the Middle English expression "God spede (you)", a wish for success and fortune for one setting out on an enterprise, voyage, adventure, or travels. It may also mean good luck.

 "Limitations only exist if you let them" 

 © 2013 Shannon M. King. This publication is the exclusive property of Shannon M. King and is protected under the US Copyright Act of 1976 and all other applicable international, federal, state and local laws. The contents of this post/story may not be reproduced as a whole or in part, by any means whatsoever, without consent of the author, Shannon M. King. All rights reserved.

7 comments:

  1. Your pups are cute!
    Glad you realized it was the track and hope you find a better place to run.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hope your shin splints continue to get better.

    Cute dogs!

    I'm running a half marathon on Sunday in green. :c)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Shin splints are such a pain (literally). I hope yours get better!! How about some trail running? The slower pace + dirt helps me.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have 2 girls and a boy spaced about the same as your but older...and I remember those days of teaching them to drive and all the rest...my daughter bought a stick shift car and we spent a week or so lurching around town. But the knowledge of driving a stick shift car landed her a job in New Zealand that she wouldn't have gotten if she couldn't drive a stick. So there are advantages even these days :)

    Good luck with the shins. I am off to run now.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Those doggies are so cute! I had a miniature dachshund named Weenie too :) I miss him!

    I hope your shin splints get better and you're able to run.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey There Shannon!
    So glad you've decided to join the A-Z Challenge! And thanks for the follow. I followed you back. I'm impressed you beat cancer and took up running, not the usual response ;-) I used to be a distance runner and loved it. LOVED IT. But I sprained my ankle too many times and my doctor told me to pick a new sport..so I took up mountain biking, which I love.
    I'm looking forward to getting to know you better as we navigate this challenge together. Best of luck to you!

    Tina @ Life is Good
    Co-host, April 2013 A-Z Challenge Blog
    @TinaLifeisGood, #atozchallenge

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for the follow-I'm following you back:D Looking forward to the A to Z challenge. I've never done it before. And shin splints, I used to get them way too often in HS when I ran competitively. Are you doing everything backwards? Hope they get better soon!

    ReplyDelete

I'm so happy you stopped by...can't wait to hear all you've got to say! Blessings!

Labels

000 steps (1) 10 (1) 5k (19) A-Z Challenge (25) Acupuncture (1) AMT (1) B is for (17) Biceps Femoris injury (3) bike (1) biking (7) bloghopping (1) BMR (1) books (1) C is for (16) cancer (13) celebration (7) celebrity runners (1) checking in (23) chia (1) Christmas season (3) coastal getaway (2) cooking (1) cross train (28) current obsessions (1) D is for (15) dancing (2) days of giving thanks (10) death (1) drink (1) E is for (14) exercise (45) expresso bikes (7) F is for (13) facebook (1) family (34) fasting (1) FF linkup (3) fires (1) fitness (26) flower (1) food (13) friday blog hop (2) friends (29) G is for (13) gardening (4) goals (3) God (13) goodbyes (2) grief (1) gym time (5) H is for (11) healthy living (21) hot weather running (13) hump day inspiration (3) I is for (9) injury (28) inspiration (4) instagram (3) J is for (10) K is for (9) kindness (3) l is for (8) letters to myself (1) link-up (1) local sugar (1) loss (1) low iodine diet (1) M is for (7) mapmyfun (1) marathon (10) marathon training (30) May Challenge (1) mothers day (5) N is for (6) negative splits (2) new year (2) numbers (1) O is for (5) overnight oats (1) overpronation (2) P is for (4) patience (1) Pear Blossom Run (8) pelvic stress fracture (28) Picture Perfect Friday (1) Pinterest (1) prayers needed (3) Q is for (3) R is for (2) race (13) racing (3) Random facts (1) recipes (2) rest (1) rest day (17) retirement (1) rowing (2) running (57) running club (2) runtastic (1) S is for (1) sciatica (3) spin class (4) sprint (4) strength train (6) Sunshine Award (1) surgery (2) swimming (1) T is for (1) thanksgiving (2) The China Study (1) time (1) tiny dictator (1) tragedy in CT (1) training (22) twitter (1) U is for (1) ultra-running (1) V is for (1) vegan (6) vlog (4) W is for (1) walk/run intervals (24) weddings (1) weight loss (5) working out (10) x y and z (1) YMCA (3)