Wednesday, March 13, 2013

Will It Ever End...Injuries

Oy Vey...Shin Splints? Really? Seriously, I thought only newbies got those...apparently even famous athletes get them, and more often than you might think.  In fact, shin splints are actually a symptom of an underlying condition, according to THIS POST at WebMD, ermergerd! I am so over this already. 


I feel as if my body is at war with my will! I love running so much, yet right now it seems as if all the fates are against me, that is if I believed in the "fates". Last week I took off from running due to exceptionally sore inner shins.  They felt completely better Sunday when I ran, but Monday while running the horrible pains started and continued throughout the run.  Running felt fine but when I walked it was excruciating.  As soon as I got home I iced them with ice cube to bare skin to get deep into the muscle and now they hardly hurt, only now I'm afraid to run because I don't want to have it happen again.  

It could be that I need new shoes with shock absorber inserts, lol...I am not sure what to do at this point...what are your thoughts? I need some advice from other runners.  I haven't had this problem since I first started running 2 plus years ago. I'm a mid-foot striker already and as far as I know do not over-pronate, and I take short strides so I don't pound so hard when my feet land.  I always run on the road, but a few weeks ago I ran on a school track that has sand (not like sand on a beach), and I ran on that track a few times.  Could that be the problem? Ergh!

Anyhoo...I have been at the gym riding the recumbant bikes and using the Arc trainer so that I can give my shins time to recover and I have been working on my food.  I have decided to add in heart healthy fish and some egg into my diet so that I have a more rounded food list.  I was extremely limited in food choices due to the fact that I was trying to eat a limited amount of soy and a lot of vegan products are soy rich. I now try to eat fish 1-2x a week, starches only at breakfast and lunch and dinner is vegetables and protein. It has been difficult to break that snacking (on sugar foods) habit but not as hard as I thought it would be.  It is an ongoing process but I am healthier because of it.  That's a good thing.

I am going to try to run The Pear Blossom Run April 13th, but only if I can stay injury free. We shall see how it goes.  How have YOU been? Drop me a line and tell me all about it!  

Godspeed...this comes from the Middle English expression "God spede (you)", a wish for success and fortune for one setting out on an enterprise, voyage, adventure, or travels. It may also mean good luck. 

"Limitations only exist if you let them" 

© 2013 Shannon M. King. This publication is the exclusive property of Shannon M. King and is protected under the US Copyright Act of 1976 and all other applicable international, federal, state and local laws. The contents of this post/story may not be reproduced as a whole or in part, by any means whatsoever, without consent of the author, Shannon M. King. All rights reserved.

6 comments:

  1. I run on a treadmill because it does absorb the shock of my feet hitting the tread, so maybe inserts would help.
    And you do realize that's just Satan throwing anything he can at you? Don't let him win!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I find I only have pain in my shins if my shoes aren't the right ones, or if they've worn out. How many miles are on your shoes? Also, the pic you posted reminds me of the street a friend lives on: Destination Avenue. I feel like you can really say YOU HAVE ARRIVED when you get there haha.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Shin splints came back on me too. I think some of these things just go in cycles, and sometimes it's just hard. I think running in the long term can be just like any race. The hurt can come anywhere, any time, and at any mile. As long as it's not something too bad, you just have to press on. Good luck getting the mojo back. I'm right there with you right now.

    ReplyDelete
  4. So sorry to hear about the shin splints, and I know how frustrating it is to be dealing with a seemingly never-ending stream of injuries. =( I definitely think that the shoes could be the culprit, and I agree with Ali it could be either because they are the wrong ones for you or have too many miles on them. I also vote for more stretching (e.g. yoga) and more strength-training, because I've found that those help a lot with pretty much all running-related ailments. I wish you a speedy recovery in the meantime, and I am praying for you as always!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hmmm, I get tiny bouts of shin splints but usually icing for a day or two and new shoes has always solved the problem for me. Can you tell that a difference in surfaces has made it worse or better? Concrete kills me. How old are your shoes?? Just throwing ideas around....

    ReplyDelete
  6. I would definitely check your shoes first... that's usually the first culprit. Also, try to not run on cement for 5-7 days. If you can, run on the grass near the sidewalk. It sounds like you aren't over-striding and don't have anything mechanically wrong. ALSO.. stretch, stretch, stretch. Ice massages (using water filled dixie cups) and alphabets with your feet are the two best remedies I have found.

    ReplyDelete

I'm so happy you stopped by...can't wait to hear all you've got to say! Blessings!

Labels

000 steps (1) 10 (1) 5k (19) A-Z Challenge (25) Acupuncture (1) AMT (1) B is for (17) Biceps Femoris injury (3) bike (1) biking (7) bloghopping (1) BMR (1) books (1) C is for (16) cancer (13) celebration (7) celebrity runners (1) checking in (23) chia (1) Christmas season (3) coastal getaway (2) cooking (1) cross train (28) current obsessions (1) D is for (15) dancing (2) days of giving thanks (10) death (1) drink (1) E is for (14) exercise (45) expresso bikes (7) F is for (13) facebook (1) family (34) fasting (1) FF linkup (3) fires (1) fitness (26) flower (1) food (13) friday blog hop (2) friends (29) G is for (13) gardening (4) goals (3) God (13) goodbyes (2) grief (1) gym time (5) H is for (11) healthy living (21) hot weather running (13) hump day inspiration (3) I is for (9) injury (28) inspiration (4) instagram (3) J is for (10) K is for (9) kindness (3) l is for (8) letters to myself (1) link-up (1) local sugar (1) loss (1) low iodine diet (1) M is for (7) mapmyfun (1) marathon (10) marathon training (30) May Challenge (1) mothers day (5) N is for (6) negative splits (2) new year (2) numbers (1) O is for (5) overnight oats (1) overpronation (2) P is for (4) patience (1) Pear Blossom Run (8) pelvic stress fracture (28) Picture Perfect Friday (1) Pinterest (1) prayers needed (3) Q is for (3) R is for (2) race (13) racing (3) Random facts (1) recipes (2) rest (1) rest day (17) retirement (1) rowing (2) running (57) running club (2) runtastic (1) S is for (1) sciatica (3) spin class (4) sprint (4) strength train (6) Sunshine Award (1) surgery (2) swimming (1) T is for (1) thanksgiving (2) The China Study (1) time (1) tiny dictator (1) tragedy in CT (1) training (22) twitter (1) U is for (1) ultra-running (1) V is for (1) vegan (6) vlog (4) W is for (1) walk/run intervals (24) weddings (1) weight loss (5) working out (10) x y and z (1) YMCA (3)