Wednesday, April 4, 2012

5K...My First Race

Running my first 5K was one of the best experiences I have ever had.  Getting ready for it wasn't as easy as you'd think.  I am not a natural runner by any means.  Yes, I realize that running is a pretty simple concept but once you start adding in form, shoes, clothing, water and carbohydrates/protein/fuel, it all becomes a lot more complicated.  One of my very favorite sites for running tips etc...is Runners World, there you can find loads of information in the form of tips, tricks and videos. They have all the info you could possibly need or want, believe me.

My first 5K took place in Jacksonville Oregon at The 40th Stage Coach Run October 8, 2011.  Excitement was in the air.  Hundreds of people were milling about the streets in anticipation of running their race and crossing the finish line with a personal record.  As a first timer I was guaranteed a personal record...and I was pretty proud of it! It was chilly and as my family waited in the car for the start of the race, I was in warm up mode.  I wish that I had known more then about warming up because I didn't do a very good job and ended up walking for about 2 or 3 minutes of the 5k. Rookie mistake...I started too fast and got winded quickly.  I was 40 at the time of the race and my time was a respectable 34:36...I also won my first race prize...a bottle of wine.  That wine now sits on my mantle (I don't drink wine) as a reminder of how far I have come since cancer came calling.

I'm 41 now and have come a long way from that race. I now know the ins and outs of dynamic warm ups etc...I can run farther and last longer and it only keeps getting better the more I go out and run.  I have my form down to a tee, but need to do a lot more speed and hill work. These are things I will be adding into my running resume in the near future.  On April 14th I will run my second 5k with my 14 year old son...So stay tuned to see my results, they will be posted sometime in the evening of the 14th.

"Limitations only exist if you let them"

© 2012 Shannon M. King. This publication is the exclusive property of Shannon M. King and is protected under the US Copyright Act of 1976 and all other applicable international, federal, state and local laws. The contents of this post/story may not be reproduced as a whole or in part, by any means whatsoever, without consent of the author, Shannon M. King. All rights reserved.

1 comment:

  1. It sounds like you had a wonderful first race! I keep "visualizing" (AKA fantasizing) about my first race and running like the wind.

    BTW, where did you get the race count down? I want one!

    ReplyDelete

I'm so happy you stopped by...can't wait to hear all you've got to say! Blessings!

Labels

000 steps (1) 10 (1) 5k (19) A-Z Challenge (25) Acupuncture (1) AMT (1) B is for (17) Biceps Femoris injury (3) bike (1) biking (7) bloghopping (1) BMR (1) books (1) C is for (16) cancer (13) celebration (7) celebrity runners (1) checking in (23) chia (1) Christmas season (3) coastal getaway (2) cooking (1) cross train (28) current obsessions (1) D is for (15) dancing (2) days of giving thanks (10) death (1) drink (1) E is for (14) exercise (45) expresso bikes (7) F is for (13) facebook (1) family (34) fasting (1) FF linkup (3) fires (1) fitness (26) flower (1) food (13) friday blog hop (2) friends (29) G is for (13) gardening (4) goals (3) God (13) goodbyes (2) grief (1) gym time (5) H is for (11) healthy living (21) hot weather running (13) hump day inspiration (3) I is for (9) injury (28) inspiration (4) instagram (3) J is for (10) K is for (9) kindness (3) l is for (8) letters to myself (1) link-up (1) local sugar (1) loss (1) low iodine diet (1) M is for (7) mapmyfun (1) marathon (10) marathon training (30) May Challenge (1) mothers day (5) N is for (6) negative splits (2) new year (2) numbers (1) O is for (5) overnight oats (1) overpronation (2) P is for (4) patience (1) Pear Blossom Run (8) pelvic stress fracture (28) Picture Perfect Friday (1) Pinterest (1) prayers needed (3) Q is for (3) R is for (2) race (13) racing (3) Random facts (1) recipes (2) rest (1) rest day (17) retirement (1) rowing (2) running (57) running club (2) runtastic (1) S is for (1) sciatica (3) spin class (4) sprint (4) strength train (6) Sunshine Award (1) surgery (2) swimming (1) T is for (1) thanksgiving (2) The China Study (1) time (1) tiny dictator (1) tragedy in CT (1) training (22) twitter (1) U is for (1) ultra-running (1) V is for (1) vegan (6) vlog (4) W is for (1) walk/run intervals (24) weddings (1) weight loss (5) working out (10) x y and z (1) YMCA (3)