Monday, April 2, 2012

Surviving Cancer...and Running

About 2/3 years ago I was diagnosed and treated for Thyroid cancer.  After going through surgery and treatment, I was sick and recovering for the better part of a year.  I decided that I was no longer going to be overweight and unhealthy and then I did something about it.  I started to run, and not very well I might add.  Who knew running doesn't always come naturally?  Not me.

So last summer I started to run/walk in what they call intervals...not a bad idea for new runners who don't take to running, um...naturally.  To make a long story short, it was a lot of hard work and sweat and maybe even some tears, but I made it.  Now I'm a runner training for my first half-marathon in September 2012. 

 I've done a 5K, in fact I'm getting ready to run another one in two weeks, and have always recently dreamed of running a half-marathon.  Well, it may sound crazy to go from a 5K, which is 3.1 miles, to a half-marathon, which is 13.1, but I have run more than 3.1 miles at a time.  The farthest I have run is about 7.4 miles at one time...so I know I can do this.  I have about 23-ish weeks to get up to 13.1 miles and will be documenting my time training on this here blog.  I am hoping to meet other runners and hear their stories and even some advice.  So feel free to comment on any post.  

"Limitations only exist if you let them"

 © 2012 Shannon M. King. This publication is the exclusive property of Shannon M. King and is protected under the US Copyright Act of 1976 and all other applicable international, federal, state and local laws. The contents of this post/story may not be reproduced as a whole or in part, by any means whatsoever, without consent of the author, Shannon M. King. All rights reserved.

2 comments:

  1. I am always fascinated by people who give themselves the runaround. Seems strange to me, but I'm positive it makes sense to them.

    If that's what moves for heart (figuratively and literally) and keeps you healthy, then GO FOR IT, Shannon! Yes! For 5K or Half Marathon, or whatever you fancy.

    Blessings and Bear hugs. From the Bear. Naturally.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my gosh! This is exactly what I want to do! Seriously - I envy runners. They look so free. They get in a lot of exercise in a short amount of time. They get to be outside. I have envisioned myself as a runner for years, but my body refuses to cooperate. I want to be a survivor-runner, too, so I will be following this blog closely!

    ReplyDelete

I'm so happy you stopped by...can't wait to hear all you've got to say! Blessings!

Labels

000 steps (1) 10 (1) 5k (19) A-Z Challenge (25) Acupuncture (1) AMT (1) B is for (17) Biceps Femoris injury (3) bike (1) biking (7) bloghopping (1) BMR (1) books (1) C is for (16) cancer (13) celebration (7) celebrity runners (1) checking in (23) chia (1) Christmas season (3) coastal getaway (2) cooking (1) cross train (28) current obsessions (1) D is for (15) dancing (2) days of giving thanks (10) death (1) drink (1) E is for (14) exercise (45) expresso bikes (7) F is for (13) facebook (1) family (34) fasting (1) FF linkup (3) fires (1) fitness (26) flower (1) food (13) friday blog hop (2) friends (29) G is for (13) gardening (4) goals (3) God (13) goodbyes (2) grief (1) gym time (5) H is for (11) healthy living (21) hot weather running (13) hump day inspiration (3) I is for (9) injury (28) inspiration (4) instagram (3) J is for (10) K is for (9) kindness (3) l is for (8) letters to myself (1) link-up (1) local sugar (1) loss (1) low iodine diet (1) M is for (7) mapmyfun (1) marathon (10) marathon training (30) May Challenge (1) mothers day (5) N is for (6) negative splits (2) new year (2) numbers (1) O is for (5) overnight oats (1) overpronation (2) P is for (4) patience (1) Pear Blossom Run (8) pelvic stress fracture (28) Picture Perfect Friday (1) Pinterest (1) prayers needed (3) Q is for (3) R is for (2) race (13) racing (3) Random facts (1) recipes (2) rest (1) rest day (17) retirement (1) rowing (2) running (57) running club (2) runtastic (1) S is for (1) sciatica (3) spin class (4) sprint (4) strength train (6) Sunshine Award (1) surgery (2) swimming (1) T is for (1) thanksgiving (2) The China Study (1) time (1) tiny dictator (1) tragedy in CT (1) training (22) twitter (1) U is for (1) ultra-running (1) V is for (1) vegan (6) vlog (4) W is for (1) walk/run intervals (24) weddings (1) weight loss (5) working out (10) x y and z (1) YMCA (3)