Monday, April 2, 2012

Half-Marathon Training...Days 1 & 2


Yesterday was Day 1 of my half-marathon training...actually it was the official 1st day, I have been running for about 8 months now.  My run was a nice slow 3 mile run.  It was not raining, which was a major bonus for this time of year, and it wasn't too cold.  My warm up consisted of about 8 minutes of walking, karaokes and stretching. For those of you who don't know what a karaoke is, it's like a grape vine step but faster.

When I woke up, much to my surprise, the sun was shining.  I knew I had to get up right away and get ready for a run before the rain started in again. So I got up and had myself some coffee and woke up a bit, then it was off to get dressed for running.  When I run I usually wear compression Capri's (the tight stretchy things) with a body armor undershirt and a t-shirt, and then I add a booty wrap to finish it off. Other times I wear compression Capri's with a running skirt and a workout tank. My shoes need to be replaced as I have worn off most of the sole, so I am getting ready to go address that situation next.

Today was supposed to be my rest day but things didn't go the way I had planned.  I am training my daughter to run a 5K with the basic couch to 5K program, so we decided to start today.  We did the walk 5 minutes run 1 minute routine and I have to say, she did pretty good.  We have to work on her pace, she tries to run to fast and then she's out of breath or gets a stitch in her side.  I showed her how to get rid of the side stitch and she made it to 36 minutes of walk/run intervals, all in all, we had a great workout together.  

So much for a rest day...my son comes home and decides that I need to go workout at the local YMCA with him.  We start on the Adaptive Motion Trainer, me for 15 minutes and Jesse for 40 minutes.  After finishing my 15, I decided to do some spinning while he finished his workout and somehow I got roped into a 60 minute spin class.  So there I am half-way into my class and he's finished, so I corral him into taking the last 30 minutes of spin.  By the time I got home tonight I felt good but wrung out tired.  Not quite the rest day I had planned, but that's fine...there's always tomorrow.     

"Limitations only exist if you let them"

 © 2012 Shannon M. King. This publication is the exclusive property of Shannon M. King and is protected under the US Copyright Act of 1976 and all other applicable international, federal, state and local laws. The contents of this post/story may not be reproduced as a whole or in part, by any means whatsoever, without consent of the author, Shannon M. King. All rights reserved.

2 comments:

  1. Wow! you are one tough trainer. A whole 36 minutes on day one. Was she actually able to walk today. Note to Bear: this is not the trainer you want.

    I have no idea about this spinning. Isn't that what you do to get your wool ready for weaving? I used to do that many years ago, when we had several looms.

    I hope you keep having fun at this. As in both the running and the running blog.

    Blessings and Bear hugs.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks like you had a busy workout day! Thanks for stopping my my blog & reading! Way to go on kicking cancer & now running's butt! Half Marathons are my favorite race distance. Enjoy the training!

    ReplyDelete

I'm so happy you stopped by...can't wait to hear all you've got to say! Blessings!

Labels

000 steps (1) 10 (1) 5k (19) A-Z Challenge (25) Acupuncture (1) AMT (1) B is for (17) Biceps Femoris injury (3) bike (1) biking (7) bloghopping (1) BMR (1) books (1) C is for (16) cancer (13) celebration (7) celebrity runners (1) checking in (23) chia (1) Christmas season (3) coastal getaway (2) cooking (1) cross train (28) current obsessions (1) D is for (15) dancing (2) days of giving thanks (10) death (1) drink (1) E is for (14) exercise (45) expresso bikes (7) F is for (13) facebook (1) family (34) fasting (1) FF linkup (3) fires (1) fitness (26) flower (1) food (13) friday blog hop (2) friends (29) G is for (13) gardening (4) goals (3) God (13) goodbyes (2) grief (1) gym time (5) H is for (11) healthy living (21) hot weather running (13) hump day inspiration (3) I is for (9) injury (28) inspiration (4) instagram (3) J is for (10) K is for (9) kindness (3) l is for (8) letters to myself (1) link-up (1) local sugar (1) loss (1) low iodine diet (1) M is for (7) mapmyfun (1) marathon (10) marathon training (30) May Challenge (1) mothers day (5) N is for (6) negative splits (2) new year (2) numbers (1) O is for (5) overnight oats (1) overpronation (2) P is for (4) patience (1) Pear Blossom Run (8) pelvic stress fracture (28) Picture Perfect Friday (1) Pinterest (1) prayers needed (3) Q is for (3) R is for (2) race (13) racing (3) Random facts (1) recipes (2) rest (1) rest day (17) retirement (1) rowing (2) running (57) running club (2) runtastic (1) S is for (1) sciatica (3) spin class (4) sprint (4) strength train (6) Sunshine Award (1) surgery (2) swimming (1) T is for (1) thanksgiving (2) The China Study (1) time (1) tiny dictator (1) tragedy in CT (1) training (22) twitter (1) U is for (1) ultra-running (1) V is for (1) vegan (6) vlog (4) W is for (1) walk/run intervals (24) weddings (1) weight loss (5) working out (10) x y and z (1) YMCA (3)