Friday, April 27, 2012

Famous Marathon Runners

If you don't already know, I love running, but I also love to read about others experiences with running.  I fact, it interests me to no end to read about famous runners and even celebrity runners, because I always know I can take something from it and learn a new technique or get motivated to run better.  

So on occasion I will write about a famous or celebrity runner and share with you what their experience was like. Who knows, we may all learn something new. 


Today I'd like to share Apolo Ohno's story regarding his 2011 ING New York City Marathon.   Everyone knows Apolo as an the most decorated (2 gold, 2 silver & 4 bronze medals) winter Olympian and  speed skater Champion, but what you may not know is that he set a goal to run the New York City Marathon in under 3 and 1/2 hours.  Well, he crushed that goal and ran it in an impressive 3:25:14.




According to parade magazine...

Apolo Ohno is also known for his stint on "Dancing With The Stars", and he was challenged to run the ING New York Marathon by his fellow Subway enthusiast Jared Fogle, who completed the marathon in 2010 in 5:13:28.  Apolo had already run the Chicago half-marathon and thought it seemed pretty easy, in fact he said he felt pretty good after completing it.  He then ran 16 miles and thought how ridiculous it really was, his feet hurt, calves, hamstrings, knees and joints.


He said that it was totally a mental thing, because he did not have great running technique. When asked who he would want to join his marathon team he replied, "There's too many". A few of those names are, Lance Armstrong, Michael Phelps, Michael Johnson, Michael Jordan, Oprah, Obama and a few Bush's as well.


With a group of friends like that, who wouldn't want to be on his marathon team...I would.  I personally have really only wanted to train and run in a half marathon so far, but maybe that is just because I'm pretty positive I could finish 13.1 miles...and fear that 26.2 is too far out of reach.  Maybe I'll have to revisit that thought soon.  If I can SURVIVE cancer, change my life from sedentary to very active, I guess I need to believe that I could complete a full marathon with the proper training. 
 
Godspeed...this comes from the Middle English expression "God spede (you)", a wish for success and fortune for one setting out on an enterprise, voyage, adventure, or travels. It may also mean good luck.

"Limitations only exist if you let them"

© 2012 Shannon M. King. This publication is the exclusive property of Shannon M. King and is protected under the US Copyright Act of 1976 and all other applicable international, federal, state and local laws. The contents of this post/story may not be reproduced as a whole or in part, by any means whatsoever, without consent of the author, Shannon M. King. All rights reserved.

6 comments:

  1. Hi Shannon,
    Thanks for visiting my blog and congrats on your survivorship! I am a breast cancer survivor. :) Sounds like you are doing great things - keep it up! Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Shannon: I'm a runner, too! I've been running since 1981. I love it. I'm not fast but I'm consistent. I'm also inspired by celebrity runners/joggers. I read recently that Diane Keaton (age 66) runs 30 minutes every morning.

    In 2007 I hurt my knee while running and it put me out of commission for several months. We bought a high-end elliptical machine which saved my life! When my knee got better I started running again and then developed plantar fasciitis, so I was down for the count again. I've just started running again this spring. I'm taking it slow. I bought some new running shoes with special support for my pronation problem. So far so good.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I remember when he broke into the national scene at the 2000 Olympics. I always did like this guy. It's good to hear about what he's doing now.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great post! Congratulations on being a cancer survivor. God bless!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great post :)
    Happy Saturday!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow. Never knew he was a runner too. I know you could do a marathon. Excellent post.

    ReplyDelete

I'm so happy you stopped by...can't wait to hear all you've got to say! Blessings!

Labels

000 steps (1) 10 (1) 5k (19) A-Z Challenge (25) Acupuncture (1) AMT (1) B is for (17) Biceps Femoris injury (3) bike (1) biking (7) bloghopping (1) BMR (1) books (1) C is for (16) cancer (13) celebration (7) celebrity runners (1) checking in (23) chia (1) Christmas season (3) coastal getaway (2) cooking (1) cross train (28) current obsessions (1) D is for (15) dancing (2) days of giving thanks (10) death (1) drink (1) E is for (14) exercise (45) expresso bikes (7) F is for (13) facebook (1) family (34) fasting (1) FF linkup (3) fires (1) fitness (26) flower (1) food (13) friday blog hop (2) friends (29) G is for (13) gardening (4) goals (3) God (13) goodbyes (2) grief (1) gym time (5) H is for (11) healthy living (21) hot weather running (13) hump day inspiration (3) I is for (9) injury (28) inspiration (4) instagram (3) J is for (10) K is for (9) kindness (3) l is for (8) letters to myself (1) link-up (1) local sugar (1) loss (1) low iodine diet (1) M is for (7) mapmyfun (1) marathon (10) marathon training (30) May Challenge (1) mothers day (5) N is for (6) negative splits (2) new year (2) numbers (1) O is for (5) overnight oats (1) overpronation (2) P is for (4) patience (1) Pear Blossom Run (8) pelvic stress fracture (28) Picture Perfect Friday (1) Pinterest (1) prayers needed (3) Q is for (3) R is for (2) race (13) racing (3) Random facts (1) recipes (2) rest (1) rest day (17) retirement (1) rowing (2) running (57) running club (2) runtastic (1) S is for (1) sciatica (3) spin class (4) sprint (4) strength train (6) Sunshine Award (1) surgery (2) swimming (1) T is for (1) thanksgiving (2) The China Study (1) time (1) tiny dictator (1) tragedy in CT (1) training (22) twitter (1) U is for (1) ultra-running (1) V is for (1) vegan (6) vlog (4) W is for (1) walk/run intervals (24) weddings (1) weight loss (5) working out (10) x y and z (1) YMCA (3)